Saturday, October 5, 2013

Harry Potter crocheted scarf

Well I'm on my way to more Harry Potter-ness for my Halloween. I have gotten supplies for a few different things, so I'm trying to focus on one thing at a time in order to actually have finished projects by the time Halloween rolls around.

General Conference was this weekend (go here to learn what that is: gc.lds.org ) so I had some time where my hands could be working while my brain was still focused on what was being taught. Today was the perfect day to start my crocheted Gryffindor scarves for our costumes. I actually started the first one last night, and finished it during Conference today.

Here is the first scarf:

I went with the basic single crochet so it would look similar to the scarves in the movies. So if you are a beginning crocheter, this may be a great project for you to do! However, if your stitches aren't very even yet, work on that first so that all your sides will be even, tight, and straight.

First I got the yarn. I chose Burgundy and Gold of the Red Heart Super Saver brand. I like Red Heart because it's a good price, and I've never had a problem with it. I've used it for a majority of my projects. And the yarn was $2.99 each. I haven't bought new yarn in quite a while, so I'm not sure if that was on sale or not. But I figure two scarves for about $6 is a great deal. Woot!

Here is the simple pattern I made up, since it was super easy anyway:

Start with which ever color you want. I switched colors every 20 rows. And I made it so that I ended with the opposite color of what I started with. That was my preference.

Chain 21.
Row 1: Single crochet in second chain from the hook, Single crochet across, Chain 1, turn.
Row 2-end: Repeat Row 1.

See?? Easy, right?? I didn't even have to type that out for you!! ;)
At the end I just had to weave in all the loose ends and I was done.

I have seen people that made the stripes different sizes, like the burgundy 20 rows and the gold 10 rows. And I've seen people that put cool fringes on each end of the scarf. They look awesome! But like I said, I was going for what it looked like in the movie and simplicity. Easy peasy.


The second scarf will be coming soon...because I decided to make it a little differently!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Thanks for dropping in! :)