Thursday, September 19, 2013

My Harry Potter Halloween adventure!!

One morning, while washing my hair in the shower (where all great ideas come to me) I had the sudden realization that making my house Harry Potter themed for Halloween would be the most amazing and grand idea in all the land! Am I right?!?! AM I RIGHT?!?!?!  I am.

I have so many amazing ideas for this and I'm super duper freaking out about it. And yes, I am going to be Hermione and Steve will be Ron!!

I will share my inspiration from what I found in the magical land of Pinterest. If you find me (Lynnette Harkness) on Pinterest, you'll see my recent deluge of Harry Potter Halloween ideas on my Halloween board. I want you to join in my adventure of DIY-ing myself through this process. And I hope I'll be able to do this on the cheap...as in hopefully barely any dollars spent. (Because Steve doesn't want me to spend money on this...whaaaat?!) We'll see what unfolds. It's going to be incredible. Like really.


First up - the spell books. I plan to simply take all the old textbooks we have that we couldn't sell back after school and recover them. I'm hoping they'll look something like this from the Until Wednesday Calls blog. We'll see what I can come up with in my limited computer creation skills.

Here are the books I'll probably include (mostly from the first year):
The Standard Book of Spells by Miranda Goshawk
A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot
A Beginners' Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch
One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore
Magical Draughts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander
(Or the Monsters book from later on in the series if I can figure out an easy way to make it)
The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

And I hope to have one spell book sitting open with spells inside it (probably the potions books because I found this cool post about it). I want it to look something like this from the Snowy Bliss blog. I'm very excited about that one!!

So I'm hoping to get on this quick so everything will be done by Halloween, obviously. Updates and pictures to come soon!

Do you have any amazing ideas you've seen on Harry Potter themes or decor??

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Thanks for dropping in! :)