Monday, August 19, 2013

The Creative Process

As you all know, I truly enjoy being creative. I don't allllways come through on the motivation to carry out my inspirations...but I really enjoy coming up with an idea, formulating a plan, starting a project, and then seeing a finished product. It's such a rush to see something I made with my own hands.

Well, I am preparing to take the GRE later this year, and I read a tip in my GRE prep book to read scientific/scholarly articles on a regular basis. This helps you learn how to navigate and understand academic language a little easier. That skill will help me on the reading and comprehension parts of the test. I figure it will also help me learn styles and patterns for the writing portion.

Anyway, this is all leading to the article I read today. I decided to read from the Scientific American website lately. When I looked at the website today, there was a featured article that was about the creative process and how that works in the brain. That immediately sparked my interest. I love being creative and I love learning how the brain works. Some of my favorite classes in my psychology minor were the ones where we talked about the brain, what it does, and how things interact and create what we do. If it wasn't so much thinking, I'd think about being a Neuroscientist or something. ;)

Here is the article I read today:  The Real Neuroscience of Creativity. It was a real eye opener about how the idea of the left and right sides of the brain doing completely different things isn't exactly true. It makes sense when you think about it. When you are creating things, you use your spatial skills, your math skills, your logical/critical thinking about the future, and so on. It's crazy, but I love thinking about thinking. Once again, if it wasn't so much crazy thinking (and working in crazy-difficult situations), I would be a psychologist or psychiatrist or something.

Anyway, good times thinking about thinking and how my brain works. Brains are cool. Humans are amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Thanks for dropping in! :)