Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Learner

I am posting for the first time from my phone. Forgive me if it ends up going skeewhompus.
Today I saw a funny, but true statement from a Buzzfeed post. It was a bunch of quotes from different comedians about working and doing what you love.

Don't become something just because someone else wants you to, or because it's easy; you won't be happy. You have to do what you really, really, really, really want to do, even if it scares the [crap] out of you. --Kristen Wiig 
(I took out the other 4-letter word that was there originally.)

I thought it was appropriate for today since I am returning to school. Tonight is my first class. I'm taking a prerequisite course in order to apply for a graduate program. And I'm actually excited! If you had asked me last year right after I graduated if I'd consider going to Grad School I would've given you a very quick and firm, "no." But I've learned a few things about myself since then.

At work we take a survey/quiz thingy called Strengths Quest. It rates you based on your answers on 30-something different traits, or strengths. It gives you a Top 5 strengths that we then try to use to increase our teamwork and talents. It's more complicated than it sounds, but it's legit. It's made and administered by the Gallup people. And I love it. It really helps me learn why I do things a certain way, and see how I can use those strengths in the workplace and at home.

Anyway, one of my Top 5 is Learner. I really enjoy learning things just for the journey of learning. I don't necessarily want to test my knowledge or show it off. I just love soaking up new information and seeing what I can do with that knowledge.

So when I started yearning to be back in the classroom, I knew what was going on. I was hesitant because I dislike tests and papers very much. And I was worried about time committments. But I knew I would enjoy learning and seeing what I can glean from other people's knowledge. Also, I get some great benefits from working on campus, and it makes taking classes very feasible.

Now here I go. I'm very nervous, and that excites me. Because then I know I'm  taking a risk and I'm going to grow from the experience.

On to a new journey!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Thanks for dropping in! :)