Tuesday, June 12, 2012

PHILLY - An Introduction

Get ready for a picture overload of Philadelphia! I'm only going to share a fraction of the pictures we took, but it's still A LOT!!
I was funded by the university to go to Philadelphia for a conference about postsecondary education for students with disabilities. I learned A LOT and I was so glad I was given the opportunity to go. All the information was great to know for my job and my future endeavors in my career field.

The perk of going on this trip for the conference is that I got to see a really cool place during the times when I wasn't in workshops. It was GREAT. I have never been to Philadelphia, so it was fun to explore a new place. And Steve got to come on the trip with me, so we got to have fun in this new place!!!

I can't remeber which things we did on which days of the trip, so I'm going to try and organize the pictures in some logical way. :)

This was one of the first "cool" things I saw on the trip. We were out on Tuesday getting ready to see some things and saw this cemetary. It was so neat because it's obviously old and historical. That was the coolest part of the trip. Everything had some history to it, and I liked being able to actually SEE the history.
A cemetary on a side street of Philly.

We ended up going to Johnny Rockets a few times during our trip. It saved my life in terms of "normal" foods in town. We liked going to some of the local restaurants and things, but it was annoying not knowing if we would like our food. So when we wanted to go somewhere where we knew we would like the food, this is the placed that saved our my life. And it was fun because it was a little retro, and we got to listen to some of my favorite songs while we ate!

Johnny Rockets. YUMMY

Sadly, Tuesday was pretty rainy weather. We still wanted to see things, so we had to just suck it up and go with wet feet all day. And it really rained...ALL DAY. Again, I really enjoyed seeing all the history and things that were still standing from the beginning our country.
Independence Hall
 Liberty Bell. I did not know we'd be standing in a line to see the bell. I thought it was just kind of outside and you go see it. But they moved it inside with cool historical facts and things to read about. I also realized how many people were at all the sights from other countries. I am always interested in other cultures. But I never think that other people are interested in my culture. But they were!! So it was neat to see all the different groups of people that were at all these sights.

Liberty Bell

 Okay. Our first night in Philly, we got in around dinner time. By the time we got to our hotel, settled, and were ready to explore town for a place for dinner, it was probably 8:30 or 9:00 at night. So it was dark. Obviously we are unsure exactly of where we are going, and hoping we'll like the restaurant, and that it doesn't take forever, etc. So we are walking down the street, turn the corner and THIS angle of the statue is the view I have. I nearly screamed! I was NOT expecting to see that right there...right on the corner of the street. After the initial shock, I thought it was a pretty cool statue...but still. Scary at first.
So there's an introduction about Philly. The rest is very exciting, promise. :) Hopefully I can remember the things I want to record and make memories of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Thanks for dropping in! :)