Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Reading Review

Here is an update into what I've been reading lately. 

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
Well, The Lord of the Rings turned out wonderfully! I loved - no, I LOVED - these books. The details are incredible. I know that I will need to read this book again, probably a few times more, to truly understand, remember, and appreciate all the detail that went into this story. Samwise Gamgee is my favorite character. His loyalty and love for Frodo is so amazing to envision. I also loved how so many different characters have to contribute to the end result. Without knowing it, all the characters are so intertwined and need one another. Even the one that seems the most villainous is necessary for the end result. LOVE. Also - it had all clean language, there was fighting that wasn't too gruesome (remember how I sometimes didn't even realize they were fighting?), and the friendships that form throughout the book are so deep and caring.

A Room with a View by E.M. Forster
Well, it's safe to say that I did not enjoy this book. But it was so short I just finished it since I had already started it. I think I mostly did not like it because I did not understand the culture or language of everything. As I discussed this with a coworker, they told me it included a lot of things that were under the surface. It wasn't a novel that was written simply to enjoy and tell a story. Either way - I did not enjoy the book because I had no idea what was happening 45% of the time. But I crossed another book off my list!

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
This was another book that took me longer than expected to read. I had to re-read pages a few times because the language was a little harder for me to understand. I also think that reading right before bed when I was probably really tired didn't help understanding that language. But by the third volume (there were three volumes in the book), I was really into the story and sped through it to find out what happens. I think it's good and it ended how I wanted it to. Haha. I like cute, expected endings. So I was happy with the ending. I think it's good for a story about enduring love and respect.

Now I'm going to read a little Harry Potter to read something in language that is familiar. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Thanks for dropping in! :)