Saturday, April 18, 2015

Reading Review :: All you need is love...

Harry Potter Series
I made some random connections on my latest journey with Harry. Throughout the entire time Harry is figuring out his purpose and what his future holds, Dumbledore mentions multiple times that "love" is what sets him apart from He Who Must Not Be Named. In the ending bits, Harry kind of scoffs at the idea that all it might take to defeat Voldemort is "love." However, in the end, love truly was a main factor in saving those he loved.

As I was doing some personal scripture study a day or two after finishing the series, I read the scripture from John 15:13 that says, "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." And seriously - Harry did that! It was just a connection I randomly came across and thought it was interesting. I'm not sure how I never noticed it before.

Also, I was finally sorted into a house, and I am officially a Hufflepuff! Hufflepuff proud!!


A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Let me start by telling you a short story. This book is the book that made me hate reading when I was young. I had to ready it in like 4th grade...I think. Maybe 6th? I can't really remember. But for some reason I hated this book and it spurred my hatred for reading/comprehension for most of the rest of my middle school experience. When I got to high school, I realized if I found a book I liked that reading wasn't all that bad. So then I kind of liked reading. But it wasn't until college/getting married that I really discovered how wonderful reading is.

As I have uncovered this new and exciting part of my life, I decided to re-read a few of the books I hated when I was younger to see how I feel about them now, many years later. This book wasn't too bad. Still not my favorite, but I think I'll read the books that come next her Time Quintet series. So I guess there is a little bit of attachment there.

This book was interesting, and a super-fast read. I read it in one day...it was pretty slow at work that day. I think the reason I didn't like it when first reading it was because I didn't understand what was happening. Even though it's technically a children's book, it deals with some complicated topics, like "wrinkling"time and space. I know for a fact I didn't understand that as a child.

However, now knowing that L'Engle is Christian and that she probably slips in Christian themes (which she did pretty obviously in this book), I read it with a different mind. Not to mention I'm many moons older than when I first read it. And surprisingly enough, I made a similar connection here with Meg Murry and her adventure through time and space as I did with Harry Potter. Whaaa?? I know. [This might be a spoiler!] She has to figure out for herself about love, what it truly means, and how that sets her apart. Maybe that gives away the whole book. But I really enjoyed the ending. Not sure about the Mrs Whatsit, Mrs Who and Mrs Which yet. But perhaps they'll grow on me as I ponder it again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Thanks for dropping in! :)