Monday, August 12, 2013

Transcriber problems

As many of you know (all of you since you are mostly family and close friends) I am a transcriber. Many misunderstandings and confusion comes from this job title. Many all people do not know what that really is.

In a nutshell, this is generally how the conversation usually goes:

New acquaintance/teacher: So what do you do for a living/in my classroom?
 
Me: I go to the classroom with a student and I provide real-time captioning. Basically I type really fast while the student watches what I type to provide communication access.

New acquaintance/teacher: Oh really? That's cool. So you do the sign language stuff then?

Me: No. (*thinking* Did I mention ASL anywhere in that response?)

REALLY?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Thanks for dropping in! :)